Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dear Family,
Ahhh, I knew my birthday was soon but I didn't realize how old I was going to be until the momma wished me a happy 22nd birthday.  My companion just turned 25 last month though so I guess I don't have to feel super old. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I wish you all a Happy Valentines too. Mary, I think my special someone is just going to have to be Sister Varea this year. 

A few days ago Sister Varea and I went out to a house more in the jungle area. We saw a really cool tree so she climbed it to get a picture. She sort of tried to slide/jump down from the branch and ended up falling and hitting several branches on the way down. She is doing fine though, just has a lots of scrapes and bruises on her arms and legs. We won't be climbing trees anymore.

On Saturday I learned how to husk a coconut with a big sharp stick. 

Tuesday during our dinner hour I taught all the young women the Virginia Reel. Then I played the harmonica while they danced. It was kind of an on the fly thing and the harmonica I had was a cheap tin one, but they had a great time. 
We went out teaching with the zone leaders on Thursday for the whole day. They didn't really give us any feedback afterwards, but it was interesting to see how they teach and how they speak the language. 
Yesterday we saw two different fights. It's kind of funny how people will all come out of their houses and congregate around a fight just to watch. One woman was just screaming and screaming for no reason. The people all ran to her to watch her scream and when we asked what was going on they said her boyfriend was mad at her for getting drunk so she was just acting crazy. I'm sure she'll be the talk of that community for the next week or so. 

The Andon family that was doing so well and getting ready to be baptized just stopped progressing and have been to busy to see us the last couple weeks. We will hopefully be able to have a talk with the mother this next week but Sister Varea is pretty sure we will have to rest from them. I'm a little disappointed and I'm really hoping and praying that won't be the case. 

The rest of our work is going well. We plan to have a baptism this Saturday. We've been working with the girl and her parents. Her father used to be a branch president but he and her mother went inactive long ago. He seems to really be ready to get back on his feet and has been joining the daughter's lessons. The whole family plans to be at the baptism. 
Well I love you all, Mom and Dad I wish you the best with your missionary work. You both sound like you are staying very busy. 
God bless,
Sister Beutler

Sister Beutler by some of the old Japanese tanks they used in the war here.

No comments: