Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dear family and friends,
It has been another good week in Sapwalap. We went on exchanges again at the beginning of the week and I was with Sister Saliau in Kolonia (see attached photo). She finishes her mission this next transfer and gave me lots of good advice about forgetting myself and putting my whole heart and soul in the mission. 
Sister Beutler with Sister Saliau in Kolonia
On Wednesday we went to the Welters do do service. We helped them dig up taro. I always like learning how to do new things and the locals like to teach me. They all worry about my skin turning dark though. I try to tell them that I'm used to being out in the sun but I don't think they believe me.
When we went to teach one of our recent converts they were eating little crabs. they gave me a claw to eat and when I but down on it I must've hit a nerve because the joint and claw moved. I let out a squeal and threw it across the room. I felt a little bad but after I explained myself they just laughed and laughed. 
We have a family we are teaching with four children. We have only been able to see them a couple times but the little boys love us and they came to the primary activity and church this week. One of our members who was helping us teach said he met the husband on the road the other day. The husband asked if he was a member and then told him that one day his whole family was going to join our church!
The language comes to me more and more each day and I enjoy speaking it. They use the same words for multiple things in this language, making everything sound very broken if translated into English. Sometimes I wish their were more words so I could express myself better but I guess it makes the language easier to learn. There are lots of honorific words that I need to be careful to use when appropriate such and when I am speaking to and older person, or about God. 
One thing I have learned is how much I took for granted growing up where I did. The members would give anything to have a temple nearby or be able to attend a live session of general conference. It was such a blessing to grow up among so many saints. 
I am so grateful for this gospel and the opportunity to serve the Lord. I know one day Pohnpei will be full of saints. The gospel is spreading so fast here but there is still so much work to be done. 
I love you all very much.
Sister Beutler
A Pohnpein apple and one of the many types of bananas here.
 

No comments: