Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, September 16, 2012


Hello again my dearies,
 
It has been a good week. Today is my one month anniversary in Pohnpei!  

Congratulations to Aaron and Aneesa on their new baby. He sounds like quite the chunk. I want to see a picture.

Last week we went on exchanges after p-day so I was in Kolonia with the other Sister Varea. From that day on I have no longer been teaching with notes. I just use the words I know and the investigators and Sister Varea help me along when I'm stuck on a word. It's amazing how much you can say with only a vocabulary of about 200 words. Anyway, while we were on exchanges a man came up to us while we were walking to a lesson and what I got out of the conversation is that he was telling us to come teach him. As I started to follow him Sister R. Varea told him "Soh Mwahw (no we're good)" then took me by the arm and led me away. She then  told me he was drunk and was telling her to leave so I could go teach him by myself. We got a good laugh out of that.

I recently found out that there are kings on Pohnpei. I guess each clan has one and they go to all the funerals and important events but none of the other sisters have ever met one as far as they know.

For service this week we helped a family weed their taro. Weeding is much different here. The roots hardly even go into the ground because it rains so much. They put all the weeds in a wheelbarrow and then dumped them in the river. I don't know how much good that really does to prevent them from spreading.   

On Thursday we had a couple appointments fall through so we went to a member family to teach them the restoration and how to do their own missionary work. There were lots of aunts and cousins there so we were teaching about 7 adults and 20 children. When we finished we asked if they knew anyone who wanted to hear the gospel. Two of the children (a 10-year-old and a 12-year-old) piped up and said they wanted to be baptized. They go to church every week with their cousins and we didn't even know they weren't members. Their mothers said it would be fine if they got baptized and they are really excited to take the discussions and become part of the church.    

I've gotten to where I hate the word pwetepwet (pronounced: pwech-a-pwech). It means white. At first I thought it sounded fun but people usually use it when they aren't saying very nice things about me. It isn't a fun word anymore.

I have recently found that I need to repent and shave my legs more than once a week. A couple nights ago during a lesson I had my legs extended out because they had fallen asleep while I was sitting cross-legged. One of the little girls put her hand on my legs and then excitedly exclaimed how poky they were. All the kids then had to come rub my legs to feel for themselves. I don't think it helped the spirit of the lesson much.

Jared asked about the raw fish and in my letter I didn't explain it very well so I will do it now for all to hear. They serve all the fish here with the head and everything. They only eat certain kinds raw. They cut slices in the sides and then massage lemon juice and salt into the meat. When I ate it, it felt a little bit like I would imagine biting though someone's flesh and tearing the meat off their skin with my teeth. I don't know that I enjoyed the experience that much.

Mom wanted to know more about my living situation so here it is. We live in a one room house about the size of my bedroom at college. We have electricity but it usually turns off for a few hours every morning so we need make sure to charge things when we do have it. The water in the tap is rain water so on P-day we fill our blue jugs with filtered water in Kolonia and use that for drinking water. It is only $1.50 for 5-gallons. There are ants everywhere so we keep anything they could get into either in the fridge or freezer. The other night I was drying myself off and saw I was covered in ants. I guess they thought my towel would make a good home. We do have a washer and dryer in a little section behind our house so that is really nice.  

Love you all,
Sister Beutler

P.S. The picture is of me and the other sisters along with a member (Sister Calio).


No comments: