Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dear Family,
It has been an interesting week. Sister Varea and I have happened to teach an uncommonly high amount of older people. They are all either Catholic or Pros and they all say the same thing. “There is one God and all the churches are good.” We can teach them as simply as possible about the apostasy and priesthood authority but they don’t really seem to be listening. They tell us they know the Book of Mormon is true because it is words of God even though they haven’t read or prayed about it, and they can’t seem to grasp the concept that because the Book of Mormon is true, that also means Joseph Smith is a prophet. My point is, it isn’t fun trying to teach old people. There is one older woman, however, that I think actually had an “Ah-ha moment” when we read about how Christ was baptized. I can tell her heart is open because she really does think about what we say and is willing to change.
We have also had the opportunity to teach quite a few high school/college-age people who we contacted through referrals. The young ward members come with us to contact them too. They are a little more intimidating to teach because we are close to the same age but are also a lot more fun because they want to learn.
General Conference was so good, I thought of Jared during the talk about the bees. Between conference sessions we ate with the members and I tried pig intestines for the first time. They were pretty gross and that will be my last time trying them. I also found out this week that there are glow-in-the-dark mushrooms here. We forgot our flashlight one day and as we were walking in the dark on a jungle path to our car I could see all the mushrooms glowing around me.
This Saturday was pretty worthless for teaching. Pohnpei was having a cultural celebration so everyone was either at a party or pounding sakau and we aren’t allowed to teach when they do sakau. I guess it would be the equivalent of trying to teach in a bar.  
Even though there are so many forces trying to delay the Lord's work, it continues to more forward on this island and hearts continue to be prepared. I keep thinking of people at home that need the gospel. Share it with everyone. There are so many just waiting for an invitation.
Love you all,
Sister Beutler

No comments: