Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Kasalel

My Dear Family,
Rayleen got baptized and confirmed this past week. She's such a sweet girl and I know she will stay strong in the church. 
I tried a fruit called soursap this week. It's just coming in season so lately everyone has been eating it. It's super sour but then has a sweet after-taste. It's a strange fruit but I really like it. 
On Saturday we were in a hurry to leave the house to get to our appointment on time. We walked the 2-ish miles down to Kolonia and when I took off my shoes to go in a house I noticed I had two different shoes on (one black and one brown, they were even different styles). I had a long dress on so it wasn't as noticeable but I did end up walking around all day with mismatched shoes. Sister Varea couldn't stop laughing. 
Yesterday the young women asked me to lead the closing hymn for sacrament meeting because they said it was a hard one. I looked and saw it was "How Great Thou Art" which is just a 4/4 song. When I started leading I soon realized why it was so hard. Everyone was singing a Methodist melody that didn't even sound the same at all. It also didn't help that Pohnpeins love to drag out all their notes and sing loud enough to drown out the piano. Sister Varea and the young women just sat and chuckled at me the whole song as they watched me struggle to lead. 
Sister Andon and her kids were supposed to be baptized this next week but we extended it a week because she is scared. She says she still swears at her kids and gossips so she doesn't feel quite ready yet. She is such a funny lady. Her husband just lost his job because he went in for a different job interview. Hopefully he gets the new job. That way he won't have to work on Sundays anymore and can come to church. I really feel like God is working in their lives right now to prepare the family to be baptized and eventually go to the temple together. 
We taught a professor from Africa last night. He is a very intellectual person and had a lot to tell about his background. He was schooled in the states first in Texas, then Oklahoma, and then New York. It will be fun teaching him. He loves to talk. It's a little hard getting enough words in to teach, but he is really interested to learn about our church and plans to come to church next week. Here's crossing our fingers that nothing really weird happens in our meetings! :)  
Momma, I do know an Elder Hansen. He came to Pohnpei the same time as me. He says to tell Elder May hi.
Elder Lyman also wants to know if you know an Elder Collin Meclain, if so, he also says hi. 
Be good boys and girls
Love You All,
Sister Beutler
Oh one more thing, Sister Andon's husband told her one night as they were going to bed that he just feels something inside when we come and he has decided to give up smoking. That is the biggest miracle I have seen this week.

No comments: