Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happenings in Kolonia

Dearest family,
I will first address the momma's questions because I know she is dying to know. My house here in Kolonia is also on the church grounds just like in Sapwalap. The house is a little bigger but not much. It's still just a one-room house but we have more space to walk around and don't have to jump over our beds to get to our desks. It's getting pretty old though. The light fixture in the bathroom doesn't work so my nightly shower is pretty dark but there is warm water. The stove also isn't working so we find ways to cook everything in the microwave. Microwaved eggs are pretty good. I still drink filtered water here. The water in Sapwalap is actually probably cleaner than it is here. I always drank the water right from the pipes in Sapwalap and never had a problem getting sick from it. 
The Andon Family is still progressing and they are fun to teach. The mother and her two young kids will be ready to be baptized in the next couple weeks. We taught her the word of wisdom and she was so worried that she'd been a sinner all this time because she drinks coffee and eats coffee flavored candy. We assured her that God wasn't going to judge her for what she didn't know and she started right away to start giving it up. She is doing really well. The dad and teenagers will take a little longer to get ready for baptism but I can already see how the gospel has brought their family closer together and I'm confident the whole family will be baptized one day. They will be a really strong family too. The dad is even looking for a different job so he won't have to work on Sundays. 
We were teaching a lesson on Sokehs island and one of the little girls that was about 1 1/2 was making a fuss. The woman behind me was calling her to come so she stood up but started walking towards me instead. I was sitting cross-legged on the ground. She looked at me for a second and then just fell in my lap, put her thumb in her mouth, and went right to sleep. The women all started laughing and told me the girl's mother had very fair skin so she must've thought I was her mom. It definitely gave me a shock.
A couple days later we saw little girl (about 3 years old) on the road waving a knife around. She almost hit her mother with it and that got her mother going. She said "E pahn Kemeuke (I'm going to give you a beating)" The little girl just turned around and when she saw us she started running after us with the knife saying "kemeuke kemeuke."
New Years Day was quite peaceful. Everyone was inside sleeping after their parties and all the shops were closed. Lots of the teenagers were going around in the back of trucks drumming on trash cans but they were actually really talented. I thought it sounded really cool, Some little kids threw us candy out of their car too.
I'm out of time. Love you all,
Sister Beutler

No comments: