Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Family Dear,
Wow, that looks like it was quite the train wreck in Dayton. I remember when the truck crashed into the train when I was I senior in high school. For a month after that I would get all scared and sweaty every time I had to drive over the train tracks. It's strange hearing about the snow storms at home and people sliding off the road. That all seems so foreign to me like those things just happened in a make-believe life a long time ago. I'm afraid I'll be in for another big cultural shock when I return home someday.

We had our zone conference this week. President Mecham's training was very inspirational as usual. He told us that declaring the gospel is the most important work going on the world today. This is a great and marvelous work and it wasn't meant to be done in a ordinary way. He also told us that in the next transfer only two missionaries are going home and 18 will be arriving. That means Pohnpei might be splitting some of the really large areas. That would be wonderful. Right now there are some people that have to walk at least 4 hours just to get to the nearest church. One 70-year-old woman in one of the areas walks 3 hours to church and 3 hours back every single week. If only all the members could be that dedicated. 

Our little Ansleen got baptized this Saturday with her cousin Leona (a child of record). It was a nice little baptismal service. 

There is this house we have started teaching at with lots of new people every time we go. The two constant people that we see every time is a man named Joab, and an old 83 year old woman. Every time we come, the woman is so excited and makes everyone sit down and listen. I don't think she understands a thing we are saying because she's a little senile and speaks a different dialect but a couple days ago I was giving her a hug goodbye and she grabbed my arm and sang me a little song. I couldn't really tell what it was about but I'm pretty sure it was a nice song. 

Keep pushing forward, continue praying for missionary experiences, and remember that I love you all very much!
Sister Beutler

No comments: