Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Monday, April 29, 2013

Life Just Keeps Getting Better

What a wonderful week I had. We had 6 investigators at church yesterday!!! We walked with 5 girls who are all mutual-age. They were nervous at first but they ended up really enjoying church and are excited to go to mutual in Tuesday. They are all sort of related to each other so they have their own little support system as they prepare to be baptized together. They aren't shy at all about inviting friends to also sit in the lessons. I feel like amazing things are going to be happening in their area of the island very very soon.  
I went on exchanges to Sapwalap and learned some interesting Pohnpein superstitions. Sister Varea had a big zit right between her eyes and the locals insisted that she let a boy pop it. They say that if a boy pops a zit it will never come back, but if a girl does it will multiply. One of her investigators ended up doing it for her. We were also driving past a place where a accidental bush fire had just happened, revealing large piles of boulders. I asked one of the members who joined us why the boulders were piled like that. She said that during World War II Pohnpei was used as fighting grounds. The legend goes that black magic was used and many of the soldiers turned into rocks. I thought she was just joking so I laughed and asked what really happened. She didn't think it was very funny though and assured me I could ask any local and they would tell me the same thing. 
We started teaching a man named Gregorio about two weeks ago. He has already read over half of the Book of Mormon and he always has lots of really good soul searching questions. He lives in the same house as his sister and her husband. They didn't seem very interested in the past but they seem to have caught on to Gregorio's excitement and they also get into the lessons now.

I don't know if I ever told you all about Brother Cantero, but he's a man that has heard from dozens of missionaries. He probably knows more about Joseph Smith than I do. His wife was baptized long ago but is in-active now. A couple days ago he finally told us he wanted to be baptized. We found out that one thing that was stopping him was that he doesn't like big crowds and didn't want a lot of people there making a fuss over him. We assured him that he could have a nice small one. He hasn't agreed on a date yet, but now he's a lot more at ease with things. 

Mary, I was very surprised to hear that you hugged Joelyn for me. Either you are going soft in your ripe years, or you must really love me :)
Love you all, 
Sister Amy Beutler

2 comments:

Melyssa and Billy Bunn said...

Hey Sister Beutler,
My name is Melyssa Jones and I was randomly looking up maps of kolonia pohnpei to make something for my missionary and happened upon your blog and a picture of Elder Billy Dean Bunn. I think it is so awesome you both are serving in the same area. If you have any tabs on him let me know and btw if you ask him if he knows me he definitely will LOL :D Love your blog :)
-Melyssa Nakael Jones

Deborah said...

Melyssa, Amy's sister posts her letters to this blog, so she doesn't see the comments, but I attached you comment to an e-mail and this is what she wrote back, enjoy: "You can let Melyssa know that Elder Bunn is doing swell. He was actually in the computer place when I got your email and I let him read her comment. He thought it was pretty funny that she found me. He and his companion, Elder Peterson, were made for each other and they are happily serving the Lord while playing with make-believe swords and building make-believe towers together. :) I hear they keep their house spic-and-span too."