Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Happy Summer


This was a week of miracles. There is a really nice family Sister Varea and I started teaching way back in December. We would go to them once a week because that is all the father would allow. The kids all knew what we taught was true but the father said we weren't allowed to extend a baptismal date, didn't like us saying much about Joseph Smith, and refused to even touch a book of Mormon. He would sit outside and drink sakau while we taught and sort of listen in through the window. The past three weeks he has sat in the lessons and this week we read with them in 2 Nephi 29. He finally accepted that it would be okay if he took a Book of Mormon and read it. He said, "I'll read your book but I'm not getting baptised."  I told him that was fine and gave him a book. As we were leaving he had already started reading and even said we could start coming more often. I could see the spirit working within him the whole lesson and the things that happened that night were truly the works of God.

We also found a woman who is truly prepared through means I would've never expected. Her husband was talking to us on the road and when he tried getting a little flirtish I asked if we could teach him and his wife sometime. He told us he would like that and that missionaries had never asked to teach him before. One of our members is good friends with the man and agreed to go help us teach him. When we arrived at the house on the set day I realized why none of the missionaries had never asked to teach them before. They live in the house on the block that is ALWAYS having a bingo game and sakau party going on. Our member that joined us went in and told the wife we were there to see her. She immediately left her bingo game and welcomed us into her little hut behind her house. She told us she had been waiting for us all day and was so excited when her husband told her we were coming. She said, "I've lived in this house for over 20 years. The missionaries have always been kind and said hello to me on the road but have never asked to teach me." After our first 2 lessons she said she has felt different inside ever since she started meeting with us and told us that after she is baptised she wants all of her family to join too. 

Mom and dad, I have a picture almost exactly like the one you sent with the broken down boat. I'll try and send it. Sounds like you two had quite the adventure last week. It's good that you get to go see more of the beautiful place where you live.
Love yous alls (as my lovely Fijian Sisters would say),
Sister Beutler

No comments: