Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sister Beutler and her trainer Sister Varea
Sister Beutler in Pohnpei
Pohnpei

Kaselehlie from Pohnpei,
                To answer Mary’s question, dearelder.com can still be used to send letters but it costs something like $6 a month to use now that I am out in the field. letters sent to the mission home address will get to me eventually. This is a better address to use though and will be the same as long as I am in Pohnpei:
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei
                My trainer, Sister Varea, has had a cough for a couple months so on Wednesday we finally went to the doctor and she had pneumonia so she was ordered to rest for the week. She stayed in Kolonia with the other Sister Varea and Sister Salaiau and I went back to Sapwalap. Sister Salaiau told me how to ask all the basic questions at the beginning of a lesson like “Which hymn should we sing” and “Who should pray” on the way back to Sapwalap. I wrote it down and from then on I was in charge of getting the lessons started. Needless to say I had a lot of people trying not to laugh at me or finish my sentences. Sister Salaiau keeps telling me that if I work really hard with the language and suffer now, I can rest later. I am starting to figure out what people are talking about  by picking out words i recognize. One of our investigators, Sileen, wants to be baptized but her husband wouldn't let her. She has been praying a lot for his heart to be softened. When we went to visit her on Thursday her husband was there. He listened to our lesson and even agreed to begin taking the discussions. 
Mom and Dad, the living conditions of river people you visited sounded just like all the people in Sapwalap. I thought Yap was the only island with topless women but I’ve definitely seen plenty of that this week.  There are little roadside stores here that have the best rolls I’ve ever tasted (they are sweeter than usual). You can buy a bag of rolls or a bag of doughnuts for just a dollar and they are one of my favorite treats. My first week here they had broken up doughnuts for the sacrament bread.
On Saturday we had a district seminary activity all the missionaries got to go to. They played lots of the pioneer games like stick pull and they had a pie eating contest. None of the students had ever heard of such a thing. All the chosen participants were natives and none of them could finish their pie so they finally just gave a prize to the one who finished the most before they had to go outside and throw up.
That evening there was a branch activity cultural show. I met a lady at the show that knew an Elder Beutler. Did Danny ever serve here? We call here Mama Serina. There were lots of dance numbers for the show, and plenty of food. The food at parties is usually rice, strange noodles, raw fish, taro, bananas, fried cucumbers, and always hotdogs.  One of the members gave us some pineapples from her garden a couple days ago, It is still are still my favorite fruit here. The bananas taste about the same as back home except sweeter, and they are really small. 
                As for myself, I am still in good health. I feel like crying every morning but by afternoon I feel like maybe I’ll be able to make it through the day, and by evening I am happy again. Everything here is so different from home but I know I was sent to this mission for a reason. I already have many people who love me even though we can hardly communicate and the children all run up and hug my legs whenever they see me. They lift my spirits a lot.
Until next week,
Poakepoake Kumwail ( I love you all),
Sister Beutler
P.S. One picture is of my trainer and I and the others are just some pictures of Pohnpei.

No comments: