Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Monday, August 20, 2012

Sister Beutler and Sister Beutler

Sister Fatongia and Sister Beutler both headed to the Micronesia, Guam mission.
Kaselehlie Family,
                I had the chance to talk to most of you in the airport. Sorry Eve, I thought I would have time to call you in Honolulu but our flight was late so we had to get right on the next plane I think you were the only one I missed. We made it to Guam by 7:00p.m. on Wednesday. The time change was hard to adjust to especially after our long flights my internal time clock was all messed up.
                The mission president’s home is very nice but deceiving compared to the rest of Guam.  It is kind of a modern run down city. As a whole I didn’t really like Guam all that much.  It reminded me of the ghetto side of Ogden.
                Now for the news you have all been waiting for… On Thursday morning we opened our new “mission calls” I am serving in Pohnpei in the Sapwalap area and am learning Pohnpein. Elders Lyman and Hansen are here also. My trainer is Sister Varea she is from Figi and is very sweet. Her sister is also in Pohnpei and Sister Salaiau (from Popa New Gunea) is her companion. They serve right in town but we will be seeing them once a week. I’m told I am the only white sister in the whole mission.
                The People of Pohnpei are wonderful. They are very patient with me in learning the language and like to help me learn new words. The ones that take care of themselves are attractive people. The children all run up to us and hug our legs. They are good children who work hard and mind their parents. When we first arrived they came and grabbed my suitcases to roll them to our house. They have a hard time saying my name so many just call me Sister Beauty. They all tell me I am very beautiful and comment on my fair skin.
                Our house is very small. It is only one room and we have to lean our mattresses against the wall when we wake up so we have room to walk around. We do, however, have a small bathroom with a flushing toilet and shower and we have an oven, fridge, microwave and air conditioner so I am living in luxury.
                Pohnpei is beautiful.  There are hundreds of different plants everywhere. While we were hiking up the mountain to an investigators house the trail was covered in sensitive plants. My companion is used to them so she thought it was funny when I got excited about them. The region where I am serving is the jungle area so people live in very humble circumstances. They all have a cement or wood pad in their huts.  We sit cross-legged on it to teach lessons. Some people have small trucks and sometimes so many people are riding in the back that they are barely hanging on. It looks like they are spilling over the edges.
                On my first day we taught a 17 year old boy that knows English very well. It was his first discussion and I invited him to be baptized. He said he wanted to. He is very ready to change his life and is willing to do anything.
Last night we were teaching a recent convert and I bore my testimony in Pohnpein it was very simple but at least it’s a start. In this same family Roger (a boy preparing to go on his mission) introduced me to his brother the first day here. He speaks a little English and said his name is Guess.  I thought he was asking me to guess the boy’s name so I said David and they all burst out in laughter. My language is coming along better than I expected. Everyone tells me I am lucky because missionaries learn the language in Sapwalap fast since the people don’t know very much English.  
                We have a branch in Sapwalap and the church house is much nicer than I expected. We live right next to it on the church grounds.  The chapel has benches but we sit on the floor in the classrooms. During relief society we could hear the primary children singing and one of their songs was to the tune of “There’s a Tavern in the Town” J. I didn’t understand much of what was going on in church but Sister Varea did her best to translate for me.
                The food is good. It is mostly rice with some sort of flavored meat (tuna, chicken broth, fish, etc.). There are chickens, pigs, and dogs everywhere. There are a few cats too. I’ve had breadfruit a few times. It tastes almost just like baked potatoes. I’ve eaten a few things that I’m not sure if I should be eating but my companion assures me it is fine. I haven’t tried the raw fish yet.  
                Today we had a zone activity and we played volleyball and football. I made a touchdown! It was good to see Elder Lyman and Hansen again. They make me feel more at ease because they are new at everything too.  The Elders don’t have a water heater so they have to take cold showers.
                I’m sure there is more to tell but we have to pay to use the internet by the hour so I will be done now. I love you all and enjoy reading your letters. Tell the little ones I miss them too.
Love,
Sister Beutler


No comments: