Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

In the Service of My Lord

Dear Family,
The work has picked up this week. We are finding more and more interested people. We contacted three sisters this week who said they'd had the discussions long ago. They said they knew our church was true and when I extended them a baptismal date the oldest said, "okay what time?" They family may show some opposition but I believe their mother's heart has been softened. It's interesting how people here can be thirty years old and they still won't do anything without the parent's permission. Part of the culture here is that people are very very respectful to older people.
Sister Salaiua will be going home this week so a family in our Sapwalap branch (The Calios) had a going away dinner for her on Saturday. We also went to a dinner for her at the house of a Phillipino family last night. We had to drive to Kolonia and sleep over so we could take the sisters to the zone activity this morning. They don't have a car since their area is right in town. Anyway, there was lots of delicious local food to be eaten. Sister Salaiau congratulated me last night on gaining weight (a compliment from an islander). She's not the first to tell me I'm looking plumper so I'm afraid it must be true. I think it's all the taro and meat I eat here. Sister Varea says they are body building foods. At district meeting this week I beat my district leader in an arm wrestle so maybe I'm just getting stronger. :)
Our branch did a little trick-or-treating thing for the kids on Halloween. They went to three different rooms in the church building and got a little bag of candy, a bag of chips, and a candy bar. It didn't last long but the kids really seemed to think it was fun and some even dressed up in make-shift costumes. A group of the young men dressed as women. They thought they were pretty funny.
I've been wondering how cousin Jordan is doing. Is he in Ukraine still or some other country? How would I get a hold of him if I wanted to write a letter?
Mary, I enjoy your weekly update on things going on in Dayton. Mom and Dad, thanks for writing to me. I feel like I've finally settled into this new life and culture. I'm learning not to get frustrated about things as easily and the language comes better to me every day. I also pray for you two every day and I know you are doing a great work for the members and Elders where you are serving. The senior couples always ask me how you two are doing whenever they see me.
I feel all your prayers and I'm so thankful for so many family members and friends that love me. 
Well, I thinks that's all folks,
Sister Beutler

One of our service projects digging taro at the Welters
 

No comments: