Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Monday, December 31, 2012

...and a Happy New Year


Dear Family,
I don't know if any of you remember me talking about the language mastery packet we have to pass off , but I spoke at another baptism this Saturday and finally finished everything. Now I'm officially a Pohnpein language master. I'll even get a certificate from the mission for it. YAY! 
It was fun to talk to all the brothers and sisters for Christmas. Sorry I didn't get to talk to some of you very long but I was happy to see all your smiling faces. Afterwards we went to our Branch Christmas Party and then tried to teach lessons but they all fell through. We ended up going on a Christmas run giving goodies with Elder and Sister Vincent (they are the missionary couple that live right close to us.  
I've found that in Pohnpei Christmas isn't over until December ends. It has been hard meeting with lots of our investigators this week because they have had Christmas parties all week long. Yesterday Santa Claus was still going around in a police car and ambulance throwing candy to all the kids. There has also been an exceptionally high number of drunks on the streets this week. Yesterday one was yelling, "Seripein (girl) from the United States of America" as we were walking down the road. Then he asked if he could just touch my hand. I've learned not to shake the drunks hands though because they never let go.
Because the majority of our lessons fell through this week, we have been able to talk to and find lots of new people. Maybe this is just God's way of leading us to people who have been prepared to hear the message. 
I'm told that all day on New Years everyone goes through the streets banging pots and pans, so tomorrow should be a very loud and interesting day. 
The Christmas presents were all wonderful and I loved them. The sagebrush took me right back to memories of riding Betsy out on the dry farm, and it was nice to taste honey, apples, and jerky again. I've almost ate myself sick with all the chocolate and candy too, but I've enjoyed every minute of it and I still have plenty. I need to give an extra big thanks for the camera and crocs too. They were perfect. Thanks for thinking of me during the season and for all your prayers.
Love y'all,
Sister Beutler

No comments: