Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Merry Christmas

Dear Family,
It has been such a good week. I've met most of the investigators in the area now and most of their names put to the right faces. The stores here REALLY decorate for Christamas. They are covered in lights. It kind of surprised me, but it's helping me feel in the Christmas spirit even without the snow and family. We have also started singing Christmas songs in all our lessons. We copied them from an old Pohnpein Pros hymnbook. 
In one part of our area there is a community of Kirinese people. They say they are anciently descendants from Tonga. I wouldn't be surprised. They are quite large people. I've really gotten to love them. They have good hearts and are very kind to the missionaries even if they aren't members. Their language sounds pretty too and it's fun learning a little of it.
We have a couple of sisters we are teaching that have the Kitti accent. When I asked who would say the prayer after the song one said she would but I thought she was telling me to, so I did it. After the prayer she was giving me a good stink eye but we all got a good laugh out of it. I love those two, they really enjoy reading the scriptures and ask good questions.
An African man stopped us on the road a few days ago. He said he teaches at the college and when Christmas break starts he would like us to come teach him. He speaks English and is a really funny man. I'm excited to start teaching him. We also started teaching a Yappese girl that is a teacher at the high school. She said she wasn't really sure if she believed in God. I think she's the first person out here that has told us she wondered if there was a God. I'm also excited to continue teaching her. 
I found out this week that there is still leprosy on Pohnpei. One of the ladies had gone to the hospital and they told her that's what she had. 
We found out one of the ladies that comes to church every week is not a member so we started teaching her this week. She says she knows everything is true but said "my husband must be Satan because he always stops me from doing good things". 
After we finished teaching the plan of salvation another woman told us that she wanted to go to the Celestial kingdom with her kids but it would be okay if her husband went to one of the other kingdoms. When the women say things like that I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. 
Now that I'm in a walking area I think I'm going to stay quite fit. Our area is big so there is lots of walking to do and hills to climb.
Dad, I was reading in the New Testament and Luke 13:13 reminded me of you. I thought of when you'd make fun of me for praying that the food would nourish and "straighten" us.
I'm excited to talk to all of you for Christmas. I think the time will work out just swell. I'll tell the missionary couples and they will be emailing to get everything worked out before the day arrives. For now I will plan to talk to all of you for my 11:00am Christmas morning, and all of your's Christmas Eve.
Love you all,
Sister Beutler

No comments: