Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Merry December


The Pohnpeins don't celebrate many of the holidays celebrated in America, but they sure celebrate Christmas. They celebrate all month long. On Dec.1 there was a parade to kick off the month. We had just gotten out of a lesson when we heard the police sirens and all the children came running out to the street with bags in had to catch candy. The Pohnpien Christmas bells (suakau pounding) are also filling the air with their melodious tunes (when they pound the saukau roots they put them on a large flat stone and then pound it with smaller stones). It seems like every fourth man we talk to is drunk.
We've done a lot of contacting this week. Pohnpien directions are really funny sometimes. The best was when a man pointed out a tree (in an area covered in trees) and said "See that tree there, the family lives under it." I'm starting to get accustomed to my new area. The people from Kaping Marami have some especially strong members. There are a few people that refuse to talk to me because I am white and then there are always the drunks that come up to us on the streets and tell me how beautiful I am because my skin is white.
Why did the couple that was renting the house move out? I thought they were staying 'til May. Is the last chicken still alive? 
Momma, you still have never replied to me about when it would be a good time to skype the family on Christmas. Will all my brothers and sisters be together Christmas Eve? What is the time difference between Guayana and Pohnpei? I love you all so very very much.

Sister Beutler

No comments: