Mailing Address

Sister Amy Beutler
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia FM 96941
Pohnpei

Monday, May 27, 2013

The Peki Pwoud

Hello Family,
Cousin Danny if you are reading this I just wanted to let you know that I met the late Elders Barlow, Carter and Dunn. Two of them said they served with you. One in the MTC and one as an AP. They came back to Pohnpei together for a visit this past week. I was dumb and didn't think to take a picture with them.
 
I was able to see a peki pwoud (a meeting to ask for a woman's hand in marriage) this week when I was on exchanges back in Sokehs. Some of our members from Sapwalap were at an investigators house. We went to talk to them and they invited us in for drinks. As I put my head around the corner I saw that the house was filled with people. The boy was sitting with his father and mother's oldest sister across a mat from the girl's parents. They were discussing and making agreements about the marriage. It was just like a Johnny Lingo moment.
An old man on the road gave us a bag of "Tongan" breadfruit. He said it was really good and sweet and told us exactly how we should cook it. We took it home and saw that is was realllly soft and one had maggots in it. Sister Ioane said it was no good so we got rid of it. I'm pretty sure the man was sincerely trying to give us a gift though. 
The picture is of me, Becky, and Jetleen with some Yappese money. They went out teaching with us on Sunday. Rachel, they are your age right now.
Momma, you don't need to worry about my apartment. I have clean water and good plumbing. It even has a bedroom that is separate from the Kitchen.
Love you all,
Sister Beutler
 

No comments: